Guys, “Shakuntala Devi” is a phenomenal movie. I just loved it ! Its very classy, adequately researched and well-narrated. It falls a few inches short of masterpiece. I highly recommend and encourage you to go watch it.
This is going to be a very quick review.
The Good part
- No Nepotism ! – That’s a huge plus.
- Its the kind of biopic which Indian industry miserably failed to produce, so far. They were too busy making whitewashing biopics of people brought India the bad name.., A controversial Nepo-kid, Dons and Don(ness?) , corrupt cricketer etc
- Direction, Narration, Casting, acting , costume – all phenomenal
The Bad part
- Bollywood should start giving its dues to Regional Languages. As per them, our Audience can handle sporadic English, French and Spanish – but they can not handle couple of sentences in Kannada and Tamil ? For example, Shakuntala’s mother had just two lines in entire movie and she choses to speak in Hindi ! That family speaking with Hindi/English subtitle would’ve been so authentic.
- Background scores did not match the emotions. This is not a deal breaker, I am just nitpicking.
The Ugly Parts
Production designers have done very bad job. They have shown total disregard towards the authenticity of artifacts shown in various parts of movie. Couple of them below.