Delhi government under Arvind Kejriwal has kept its first promise, while media is watching it closely. Or is it other way round? – Since media is watching Delhi government kept its first promise?
By free water and cheaper electricity, as I understood, as supposed to be achieved through the efficiency through bringing down corruption, fixing wastage, suppress mafia and improve operations scientifically. Apparently answer is none of the above, instead it’s a socialistic populist freebie.
I am not impressed so far, in fact I am worried on what’s coming next. Here, let me list down 5 things which, I think, are wrong by the way it is implemented
- Some detailed, the money for free water is taken out of from the profits made by delhi Jal Board in past years. The Idea is, profit out of public money, should go back to public, for free! Remember India 40-50 years back? Never_dream_of_profit policy? This is version 2.
- What happens after this profit in coffer wears out? They either will have to stop free-water flow or raise money through taxes. Either way, won’t be free anymore!
- What about houses which aren’t in water grid? They don’t have free water now anyway, later point these guys need to pay for something they aren’t exactly benefitting from. Double trouble!
- One of the feature least thought about is, If a meter consumes even a litre more than ‘free’ limit, entire consumption is charged! There are no slabs. This means dilwale Delhi people can no longer host any guest who baths daily.
- Free-water does not translate to availability of it. Honestly, I still wonder, what is the bigger problem in Delhi? Not having water round the clock? Or paying for the service who brings it to you?
A tick on free water, electricity next. Without even an audit, 50% tariff reduction is written on stone. Let’s see how they mess this up?